Isadora 3 will run on almost any contemporary Mac or Windows computer, however, your system requirements may vary based on the scope of your project.
Supported Operating Systems
Isadora 3 is supported on Windows 10 (64-bit), macOS 10.11 (El Capitan) through macOS 11.x (Big Sur).
- macOS 11.x Big Sur requires that you use Isadora 3.0.8 or later. On computers with the Apple M1 chip, Isadora 3.0.8 will run in emulation mode.
- macOS 10.15.x Catalina requires that you use Isadora 3.0.6 or later.
Minimum System Requirements
These baseline specifications will provide reliable performance with video playback, video effects, live video capture, and output to one or two displays.
For HD video playback:
- Dual-core 2.0 GHz i5 Intel processor or equivalent
- 4 GB RAM
- Intel or AMD Processor with 64-bit support OR Apple M1 Chip in Emulation Mode (macOS Big Sur Only)
Recommended Specifications for eight or more channels of HD video playback, 4K video playback, or outputting to multiple displays:
- Quad-core i7 Intel processor or equivalent (or greater)
- 16 GB RAM or greater
- Dedicated AMD or NVidia graphics card
- Solid-state storage drive with a 1500 mbps transfer rate or higher
- Intel or AMD Processor with 64-bit support
We recommend you carefully research computer equipment to find the best option for your project needs and budget. If you’re looking for help finding the right computer, feel free to post on the TroikaTronix community forum to ask for suggestions. Many Isadora designers and artists have found success using a wide range of computer hardware and are eager to share their knowledge.
Isadora 3.0.8 and macOS 11.x (Big Sur + Apple M1)
We are still evaluating how Isadora 3.0.8 runs under emulation mode on the newly released Apple M1 chips. We invite you to join our forum discussion where users are sharing their experiences with the Apple M1. Currently, we do not advise you to use an M1-based machine if you are working in a professional or performance environment. A version of Isadora that runs natively on the M1 chip is in development.
Unsupported Hardware Platforms
Isadora is not supported on tablet devices such as the Microsoft Surface Pro, Linux machines, systems which run macOS on non-Apple hardware, and computers with ARM processors.
Isadora is not designed for use with external graphics cards (eGPUs) or machines that have multiple discrete GPUs.
Running Isadora on machines utilizing unsupported hardware configurations may have unexpected and undesirable results in terms of performance and usability.